National Science and Technology Commission
National Science and Technology Commission – The Senior Scientists Forum (SSF)
ARTICLE I: Name
The name of this entity shall be the Senior Scientists Forum (hereinafter referred to as the "forum" or "SSF").
ARTICLE II: Established Year
The SSF is re-established in 2021
ARTICLE III: Office/Address
The forum will be operated under the purview of National Science and Technology Commission (NASTEC)
ARTICLE IV: Aim and Objectives
Section 1: The aim of the forum shall be:
Gathering of Senior Scientific community of Sri Lanka for the advancement of Science, Technology, Research and Innovations in assisting and advising on the sustainable development of the country in line with the core functional activities of the NASTEC through expert advisory and consultations.
Section 2: The objectives of the forum shall be:
- Provide expertise in the formulation of S&T related policies and decision making of the country.
- Provide expertise in various fields of Science and Technology in solving with the national issues/needs in the country in collaboration with various institutes.
- Promotion and cooperation in science, technology and innovation among scientists in Sri Lanka
- Act as an interface between the scientific community and industries /relevant stakeholders to share Scientific and technical knowledge
- Motivate the scientists towards innovations and inventions which can be commercialized.
- Make recommendations to NASTEC on “Advising the government on policies related science and Technology,
- Strengthening the scientists to have a conducive research environment
- Develop and maintain information hub for Technology & innovations
- Promoting Science, technology, research and Innovations among the general public of the country.
- Identifying problems/knowledge gaps in priority areas which need scientific and technological inputs for relevant stakeholders
ARTICLE V: Membership
Section 1: The Membership of the Senior Scientists Forum at NASTEC shall be open to scientists who fulfil the following criteria:
- 45 years of age or above
- With a basic degree or equivalent and a postgraduate degree or an equivalent professional qualification in fields of Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Medical and Health Sciences, Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences, or Social Sciences.
- With a minimum of 10 years of experience in a University and/or S&T Institution or any other relevant Institution (Public or Private sector)
- Committed towards development of Science and Technology and willing to dedicate their services and knowledge towards its enhancement.
- Initially the membership will be given for one year and at least to 60% of the activities conducted by SSF in a year must be attended for the continuation of membership. Annually the membership will be renewed.
- The members who have completed 10 years in it, a senior membership will be awarded as appreciation and who have completed 20 years of membership, a royal membership will be awarded.
Section 2: Any interested person who fulfil the above criteria can apply for the membership of the forum.
Section 3: Every member shall have one vote at general meetings
Section 4: The Steering Committee shall have the power to approve membership or refuse membership to an applicant, where it is considered, such membership would be detrimental to the aims, purposes or activities of the group.
Section 5: Members have the privilege of participating in all forum related activities and receive related benefits
Section 6: Members are required to abide by the Code of Ethics for the forum. The Steering Committee has the power to cancel or suspend the membership of any member if he/she breaches the Code of Ethics of the Forum.
Code of ethics shall be available to enforce this section and required to list accordingly.
ARTICLE VI: Management
Section 1: The Senior Scientists Forum will be administered by a Steering Committee of not less than thirteen (13) members and not more than fifteen (15) members elected at the forum’s Annual General Meeting. The Steering Committee in turn will be overseen by Director and Commission of NASTEC, and coordinated by a staff member (senior scientist or scientist) of NASTEC. There shall be two additional SC members elected for the SC as reserve members.
Section 2: The steering committee shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, two Joint Secretaries and other committee members. The elected steering committee shall be responsible for all administrative duties of the forum
Section 3: The Chairperson shall have the power to establish and maintain operation procedures of the forum, call meetings, and answer for all actions of the other officers. The Chairperson shall be able to vote in all decisions affecting the forum.
Section 4: The Vice-Chairperson shall assist the Chairperson with all administrative duties and assume those duties in the absence of the Chairperson.
Section 5: The Joint-Secretaries shall keep accurate and detailed records of all meetings and affairs, send/transmit all official forum correspondence, and coordinate preparation and distribution of forum flyers, handouts and publications, etc.
Section 6: The composition of other steering committee members should represent different subject areas mentioned under Article V, Section 1 Clause ii. The other SC members will assist Chairperson and other office bearers to execute the functions of the forum
Section 7: The Steering Committee shall meet at least once in three months and whenever necessary.
Section 8: The quorum of the steering committee shall be two-third of steering committee members (consider include a number according to the number of SC members 13 (Minimum)/15 (maximum) if SC members are 13 quorum shall be 9 or if SC members are 15 quorum shall be 11)
Section 10: Voting at Steering Committee meetings shall be by show of hands on a majority basis. If there is a tied vote, then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
Section 11: Power to set up sub-groups and working groups as deemed necessary who shall be accountable to the committee.
ARTICLE VII: Elections
Section 1: The steering committee shall be elected by the members of the forum to serve a term of one year at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in second quarter of the year. Elections for the positions of Chairperson, Vice-chairperson, Joint-secretaries shall be held at the first regular steering meeting of the forum.
The term of office for all officers shall begin from the date of the AGM and end on the next AGM of the following year.
Section 2: Nominations of candidates for steering committee positions shall be made by any SSF member and seconded by another member. Nominees for officer positions must be SSF members.
Section 3: Voting shall take place after the close of nominations for each office if there are more than one nomination for the position. Officers shall be elected by majority vote of those SC members present, provided that the quorum is met.
Section 4: Vacancies occurring in any of the elected offices shall be officially filled at the next steering committee meeting following the occurrence of such a vacancy or vacancies. The election procedure for filling the unexpired term of a vacant office shall be the same as for the normal procedure for elections.
ARTICLE VIII: Removal from steering committee
Section 1: If a steering committee member is absent for three consecutive meetings without giving justifiable reasons, committee membership shall be terminated. The SC has the power to appoint the next available reserve member of SC.
ARTICLE IX: Meetings
Section 1: Annual General meetings (GM) shall be held once a year with additional extraordinary GMs convened by Secretary by the request by the Chairperson of the SC as needed. Notice of such meetings must be given to all SSF members in the timeliest manner possible, usually not less than one week. The official means of notifying members shall be agreed upon at the first meeting held after the election of a new steering committee.
Section 2: The Steering Committee shall meet at least once in every three months or whenever necessary, when called by the Chairperson and convened by the Secretary.
Section 3: At which the election of steering committee officers will take place, Official notice of the meeting must be provided to all members not less than two weeks prior to such meeting.
Section 4: Quorum for AGM of SSF shall be defined as more than fifty percent of the registered membership of the forum. Quorum of AGM is needed for official votes to take place.
ARTICLE X: Funding
Section 1: The expenses of the activities of SSF is borne by the NASTEC subject to Commission approval for the Annual Action plan and Annual Budget of SSF for upcoming year.
Section 2: Membership is free.
Section 3. Sponsorships for the activities organized by the SSF may be accepted through NASTEC whenever necessary.
ARTICLE XI: Amendments
Section 1: Amendments to this constitution shall be adopted by two-thirds of (Number) vote of the SC members present at two consecutive SC meetings at which the amendment has been read with concurrence of the NASTEC. The proposed amendment is confirmed with two third of the members present at the AGM.
ARTICLE XII: Dissolution Clause
Section 1: dissolving the forum can only happen by special resolution as per directives of the Commission.
|Download Constitution for SSF PDF:|